Thursday, February 5, 2009

Prego Urego

I'm adopted. My birthmother was 15 when she gave me to my loving parents. Just so you understand where I'm coming from.

Ok I am taking an English class in college and absolutely loving it, and I was thrilled with my teacher until he said something that to me was quite disturbing. "I am pro choice" he said it with such I guess you could call it authority and satisfaction??? He proceeded to go on about how all women should have that choice and that now with the new president that now it can be possible. I thought I was going to be sick, I tell you I almost got up and walked out of the room. I let is go and just went on with the rest of my day.

Then today in class we are discussing our memoirs and what some topics are that we have chosen or want to choose. This one young woman continued to complain about how nothing exciting or life changing has happened to her. After thinking for a few 10 minutes she finally says "Well I guess there was the birth of my daughter." HOLY COW LADY!!! I wanted to get up and smack her right there! I literally had to close my mouth because my jaw dropped. Oh and it gets even better. Before she got pregnant her mom offered to get her started on birth control and she turned her down. And to bring up feelings from last class my teacher starts in on how he admires her mother for being brilliant and wanting her daughter on the pill.

Two words people, Adoption and Abstinence. 

The only 2 things I find wrong with the hispanic culture down here. 
1. Don't even mention giving your baby up, it's unheard of.
2. Have sex with anyone and everyone, just get married by a priest.
(if I'm wrong correct me, but this is just what I have observed)

It never really hit me till today that there is a good chance that I could not be here right now. And how truly thankful I am for a mother and a father that love me more than anything. 

I wanted to stand up in class and say "Has anyone heard of adoption or oh I don't know NOT having sex???" 

If you are not ready to care for a child and or not ready to give up 9 months of your life to give the child to willing loving people, then go shoplift. The sentence is shorter (6 months fyi).  

Now don't think I am cold hearted and prejudice against women who keep their babies. More power to you for keeping your child, maybe even marrying the father. In fact one of my best friends got pregnant at the age of 17. She married the father (Nick is an awesome guy and another good friend) and they are just the happiest little family. But see they took responsibility and didn't go run off and have an abortion. I love my friend and would never say anything against her.

This is for the ones who think that a child is a mistake that can be fixed with a snip rip and oh not prego anymore. 

let the hate mail fly

1 comment: